Application Name: SQL Management Studio
Application Version: 2012
For the last couple of years I had a recipe posted for SQL Management Studio 2012. I posted a pretty lengthy detailed post. Upon receiving feedback from people, I had said I would pull the post and try to find time to re-work it. I didn’t have time. I was then asked by a few people who had used the post previously and did get it to work without issue to re-post this recipe, so I did. On the 6th of October, I was made aware of this post in the TechNet Forum:
I had a lengthy post here complete with screenshots on how to sequence SQL Management Studio 2012 but for a short synopsis:
- Extract the installers from SQL, run the install, they get extracted under a folder on the C:\
- Install only the Visual Studio runtime components on your Sequencing VM
- Sequence SQL 2012 by installing the application and selecting only the Basic Management Studio feature
- Include the Visual Studio runtime components MSI’s in the Scripts folder
- Script an install for these via a Powershell Script, VBScript, BAT or however you want to. In my example I used a WiseScript.
- Add your script to execute as a Machine Script within the Add section of your Deployment Config XML.
- Publish the Application Globally to your Clients
If you would like a simple automated solution for sequencing SQL, please feel free to follow my friend Erik’s post: https://xenappblog.com/2015/sequencing-sql-server-management-studio-2014/. If you want an even better way of using SQL Management Studio, try https://www.turbo.net
Erik also has a subscription based training service which contains various App-V Sequencing recipes that you can use. I will no longer be posting recipes to my site. I have a big backlog of recipes that I could post but taking screenshots and posting recipes in detail is time consuming. Thanks for supporting my site.